Sarah’s Notes: As quick as Jiffy mix, but you control the quality of these ingredients.
Makes 8-10 2 1/2” biscuits
2 cups all-purpose flour (whole wheat pastry flour works, but is a little heavier)
2 teasp. sugar
2 teasp. baking powder
1/2 teasp. salt
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (half and half works, too)
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Rack should be in upper-middle position.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper (the baker’s friend)
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Add 1 1/4 cup cream and stir with wooden spoon till dough forms (~30 seconds).
- Transfer dough from bowl to countertop, leaving floury bits in bowl.
- Add cream to bowl remainders 1 tablespoon at a time till moistened.
- Add bowl contents to rest of dough and knead by hand about 30 seconds.
- Roll or pat out dough gently to about 3/4” thickness.
- Cut into rounds or wedges and place on baking sheet. Immediately place in oven.
- Bake about 15 minutes or till golden brown (can turn sheet once but I don’t like the effect that has on oven temp/baking time in regular ovens).
Serve as soon as possible.